Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Turning Pages

I think it's been roughly around six years since I came across T.H. White's The Book of Merlyn at a used book-shop, his last volume on King Arthur that was published separately from The Once and Future king. It was a fantastic read and I couldn't wait to get my hands on The Once and Future king, which was unfortunately unavailable everywhere I checked. Having remained at the back of my mind for so long, it suddenly came as a jolt to discover the book innocently staring at me at a book shop. Struck with disbelief, I slowly let the moment sink in and picked it up as carefully as I would handle a bomb. Disappointment hit. Some pages were improper and had been folded around. But the staff said I could get another copy as early as next week. Consoled by this, I left with Erich Maria Remarque's All quiet on the western front, still disappointedly gazing at David Lynch's unfairly high-priced Catching the big fish.

No comments: